Click to Home
GovernmentDepartmentsResidentsBusinessVisitors


1903 Barr Colonist Settlement
Info Advanced
History of Lloydminster
Early History
The Lloydminster area was first settled in April, 1903 with the arrival of the Barr Colonists, approximately 2,600 people from England. The new settlement was named in honour of Reverend Lloyd for his efforts in leading the colonists. The first part of our city's name Lloydminster is named after Reverend Lloyd and the last part from the word minster, meaning mother church. The newly founded hamlet of Lloydminster was located astride the fourth Meridian in the Northwest Territories. When the provinces of Alberta and Saskatchewan were created in 1905 and the fourth Meridian selected as the inter-provincial boundary, the Village of Lloydminster was split in two. The Alberta portion of the divided community was incorporated as a Village in Alberta on July 6, 1906, while the Saskatchewan portion was incorporated as a Town in Saskatchewan in April, 1907.

Division & Amalgamation
This peculiar situation resulted in the duplication of all municipal functions such as the creation of two separate municipal councils, two municipal offices and two fire departments. Common sense prevailed and the two communities were amalgamated into a single municipality - the Town of Lloydminster, by an Order-in-Council of both provinces on May 20, 1930. On January 1, 1958 the Town of Lloydminster received its charter as the City of Lloydminster and became the tenth city in both provinces.

Historical Resources
In 1998, the City conducted a photographic inventory of buildings constructed prior to 1940 for historical purposes. Early editions of The Lloydminster Times have been scanned and are available on line courtesy of The Alberta Heritage Digitization Project. The Lloydminster and District Centennial Commemorative Association has been formed to preserve and promote local history and to spearhead Lloydminster's Centennial Celebration in July, 2003.